Wednesday, December 28, 2011

"The Peace Corpse" by Andy Christofferson

I just wanted to give a quick recommendation of this book. This unfiltered look at life in the Peace Corps (in Tanzania) is quite literally laugh out loud funny. The usual optimism found in accounts of volunteer trips is replaced with cynicism and a harsh, opinionated narration. The unforgiving descriptions of misunderstandings between cultures, sarcastic commentary, and self professed lack of tact all make Andy's writing not only hilarious but unabashedly honest. Reading this I felt that I got a realistic look into what it would be like to give up all your daily comforts to live in the middle of nowhere in Tanzania. There was no sugar coating in this book---Andy wasted no time telling you how much it sucked. I loved it, made me wanna join the Peace Corps even more. Digital edition is available for $3- read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment